What is the Black Vacation Scheme?
Our Black Vacation Scheme (BVS) programme aims to directly increase the future representation of black people in the legal industry.
The SRA data for 2020 confirmed that black solicitors account for only 3% of the total qualified solicitor pool.
BVS is designed to provide dedicated routes to vacation schemes and internships at law firms and within legal departments.
How does it work?
You submit your CV to us and fill out our BVS registration form. We will then try to match you with a client vacation programme.
What is the entry criteria?
You need to be of black or black/mixed heritage. The entry criteria will vary depending on the organisation that is offering the placement scheme, and will be discussed on an individual basis.
Who will be chosen?
We aim to support as many aspiring black lawyers as we can.
Where will I be based?
Given the current climate, you may be offered a virtual internship or be based at the client’s offices.
What you will receive as an accredited SJP Black Vacation Scheme Participant
- A dedicated route into some of the best law firms and legal departments
- A SJP account manager once you have been short-listed for a programme (who will be able to assist you throughout the process)
- The opportunity to secure a training contract if you are successful in your vacation scheme (firm dependent)
- Access to mentors
- Networking opportunities with other Access/BVS applicants
What it means to be a SJP Black Intern
- You will be given the opportunity to shine and access organisations you may not have previously been aware of
- You will have the opportunity to make industry contacts and (we hope) friends within the legal profession
- You will be part of a fantastic community, we will be here to support you before, during and after your internship
- You can add the logo to your LinkedIn page and become an SJP Black Interns Matter brand ambassador